The rising visibility of homelessness means that our churches, workplaces, and neighborhoods are full of well-meaning friends wanting to help but don't know how. At Rescue Alliance, we hear common questions all of the time. Questions like:
Is it safe to approach a homeless person?
Should I give money to panhandlers?
If I build a friendship with a homeless neighbor, how can I help them get off the street?
Rescue Alliance organizations lead over 6,000 outreaches each year to our homeless neighbors. We've learned a thing or two about what helps and what hurts, and we want to share that knowledge with you. From a 1-hour session on the basics of caring for our homeless neighbors to a full 8 hour Mental Health First Aid training, we have brought evidence-based, best practices resources and information from a faith perspective to NYC area churches such as Redeemer Presybterian, Hillsong, NY Chinese Alliance Church, and many more.
Want to know the where, what, how and why of effective street outreach? Rescue Alliance offers training to help your group turn a street outreach into a moment of life transformation:
- Don't Walk By - Team Leader Training
- Don't Walk By - Outreach Training
- How to Lead an Outreach Workshop
If social isolation is a factor causing homelessness, building community must be a possible solution. Rescue Alliance can help you learn how to show compassion and engage with individuals in need through:
- "Caring for our Neighbors Experiencing Homelessness Workshop"
- "Making Poverty Personal: A Workshop on Homelessness"
- "Homelessness and Mental Health Workshop"
- Adult Mental Health First Aid (Day-long Free Training)
- Mobile Case Management Volunteer Training