The rising visibility of homelessness means that our churches, workplaces, and neighborhoods are full of well-meaning friends wanting to help but not knowing how. At Rescue Alliance, we hear common questions all of the time. Questions like:
Is it safe to approach a homeless person?
Should I give money to panhandlers?
If I build a friendship with a homeless neighbor, how can I help them get off the street?
Rescue Alliance organizations lead over 6,000 outreaches each year to our homeless neighbors. We've learned a thing or two about what helps and what hurts, and we want to share that knowledge with you.
Want to know the where, what, how and why of effective street outreach? Rescue Alliance offers training to help your group turn a street outreach into a moment of life transformation:
- Team Leader Training (Don't Walk By)
- Weekly Don't Walk By Training & Outreach
- How to Lead an Outreach Workshop
(Customized for your church, small group, etc.)
If social isolation is a factor causing homelessness, building community must be a possible solution. Rescue Alliance helps groups build skills related to hospitality through:
- Adult Mental Health First Aid
- Don't Walk By Hospitality Training
- Mobile Case Management Volunteer Training
The question, "How can I care for the homeless?" may be one of the most common we hear. Rescue Alliance can help you learn how to show compassion and engage with individuals in need through:
- Caring for the Homeless Workshop
- Nonviolent Crisis Intervention Training
We believe that there is hope for everyone. But how does transformation happen? Through knowing our neighbors and sticking with them through the long haul. Some resources for transforming communities are:
- Neighborhood Needs Assessment
- Disaster Chaplaincy Training